Paranormal Police Department
Suggested Reading Order
Technically, you can start with any precinct in the Paranormal Police Department. There are a couple of minor spots where characters from different precincts may run into each other, but it's nothing major.
There are a few things you should know, though:
1 - The world is built such that the normals don't generally know about the supernaturals. There are a set of normals who do know, but only because they work in industries where they have to know. If they reveal their knowledge, they'll be made to look foolish, thrown in the looney bin, and eventually killed. So...it's pretty rare that anyone says anything.
2 - There are two primary areas: Topside and the Netherworld.
- Topside is where the normals live. It's the modern world that we all know.
- Netherworld is where the supers come from. It's broken down into two sections, which are Netherworld Proper and the Badlands. There is a wall that separates the two areas. It was constructed at the end of the Old War (see below).
3 - Netherworld Proper - Considered the "good side" by many, this is where the original Paranormal Police Department started. Here are some other details:
- The main PPD precinct is here. It also hows a special unit known as Retrievers (see below).
- There is a city center, which acts as a melting pot for all the supernatural races living in the area.
- There are sectioned-off areas surrounding the city center that are only for the races who own them. If someone from another race enters the area, they can be detained and/or kill, and it may even kick off a major incident, including war.
- The following races live in Netherworld Proper: Vampires, werewolves, werebears, fae, pixies, wizards, witches, mages, weretigers, djinn, hellwolves (recent addition).
- Those living in Netherworld Proper are able to request access to visit and/or live topside. It requires integration training, so that supers do not revert to their innate ways when living amongst the normals. If a person does not follow the rules, they will be brought back by Retriever units (see below).
4 - Badlands - Considered the "bad side" by many. Lost the Old War. Things of note:
- There is a branch of the PPD here, but it's not under the jurisdiction of the main PPD...though they do provide help and assistance as needed.
- The Badlands is really the "old west" of the Netherworld. There are mobs, gunslingers, and various other forms of mayhem there.
- There are four distinct areas in the Badlands: The dragon realm, the hellion realm, the Strip, and Hell.
- The dragon and hellion realms are where each of those races are generally sequestered. Separating them is the Strip. This is a place that looks a lot like the Las Vegas Strip because the Las Vegas Strip was designed by the same supers who designed the Badlands Strip over two hundred years prior.
- Hell consists of 9 levels, containing everything from slugs to demons to goblins to valkyrie...among others.
- The Badlands PPD has three Directors, one dragon, one hellion, and one representitive from Hell.
- It should be noted that a hellion is a combination of dragon and demon.
- Other races who live in the Badlands are: Naga, Orcs, Ogres, Trolls, Dark Witches, Dark Wizards, and so on. Basically, the typical naughty types.
5 - The Old War happened because many races felt that supers were feeding too much on normals. They were afraid that the normals may go instinct, but more so they worried because the normals demonstrated intelligence. A group came to power that sought to protect the normals. This caused a war that killed millions and ended up separating the two sides of the Netherworld.
6 - The Retrievers are a special set of cops who travel topside to bring back supers who have overstayed their welcome, who aren't following the rules properly, or who are commiting crimes. Many of these can be handled by the local PPD precincts, but often times they aren't even aware that there are baddies in their midst. Retrievers are paid a base wage, plus commissions for bringing back perps. It's kind of like a bounty hunter situation. There is no rule that states a Retriever has to bring the perp back alive, but they get a higher commission if they do.
7 - The Paranormal Police Department tattoo is...interesting. It allows officers access to tech that helps them do their jobs. Here are a few:
- Connector - a device integrated into the host's brain that interfaces with the tattoo. It allows mental communication to anyone on the force, including one-to-one, group, and even broadcast.
- Portal - some units have special portal capabilities to jump from one area to another, without the need to have a portal station. Most, though, can either portal to a main station or send a criminal down to the Netherworld jail for processing.
- Enhanced ability - This one is a double-edged sword. For every default ability a race has, the tattoo will add power, focus, and speedier rejuvination. For example, a mage would be able to cast stronger spells with better focus, and will retain power more readily than a mage without the tatoo. But there is a drawback to the PPD tattoos. For whatever boost an officer gets, they also face increased libido. So, if an officer has three major areas enhanced, their libido will become three times the norm. This is why Ian Dex, from the Las Vegas PPD, is horny as hell...being an amalgamite gives him well over 10 horniness points.
You are now ready to start wherever you want in the Paranormal Police Department, so jump in and have fun!
Las Vegas Paranormal Police Department
Ian Dex is a genetically-engineered cocktail of man, beast, and magic. His heightened senses propelled him to chief of paranormal police in Las Vegas… and gave him a ravenous sexual appetite.
Netherworld Paranormal Police Department
Piper Shaw & Reaper Payne are Retrievers, meaning they have the job of going topside to bring back any super who has overstayed their welcome. Piper is an immortal bad ass. She doesn’t take shit from anyone. Reaper is a…well, reaper. He’s still learning the ropes, but with Piper as his partner, he’s on a crash course.
Southeast Asia Paranormal Police Department
Mark Vedis is an average cop. Average for a mage in the Paranormal Police Department, anyway. After years of doing the jobs nobody else wanted, his career, and life, seemed to be on hold. Then he met a foul-mouthed demon who filled him with power, turned him into a warlock, and dumped him into a world of wealth and debauchery that was disturbing at best.
Southeast Asia Paranormal Police Department – Bert Stories
Bert is part of Mark Vedis’s world, sure…but he also has a life of his own, and it’s usually pretty messed up! Kind of goes with the territory of being the prince of the demons.
Seattle Paranormal Police Department
Savanna Sage is a cop who has plans to rise to the top. Too bad the cards are stacked against in from the start. She’s thrown in with a team of misfits, her boss is an ass, and she has to constantly strive to overcome an inferiority complex based on the fact that she’s half fae, half mage.
Shadow Paranormal Police Department
Wren is a witch who is also a thief. Unfortunately, she got caught during a sting operation by a PPD chief who had been tracking her for years. Instead of throwing her in jail, though, he offers her the option of becoming a living search warrant.
New York Paranormal Police Department
Bethany is one of only two remaining weretigers. Sheltered all her life, she finally gets the chance to break out and flex her claws. She becomes a cop in the New York Paranormal Police Department, where it’s fast and crazy. The problem is, she’s required to have body guards since she’s on the extinction list.
Badlands Paranormal Police Department
Welcome to the Badlands PPD where Chief Ezekias ‘Zeke’ Phoenix, a dragon who believes rules are meant to be followed, has accepted his new post. His job is simple, keep the fragile peace between dragons, hellions, and the denizens of hell intact. The rules are straightforward in Infernal City: mind your business, watch your back, shoot first, and don’t bother asking questions.
Black Ops Paranormal Police Department - Sinister
The Black Ops Paranormal Police Department is a hidden organization that spends the majority of its time with information-gathering and assassinations. Evangeline of House Sinister, has been forced to work for the Black Ops PPD as she fights to survive one year...you see, she's got assassins on her ass, too.